Thursday, February 10, 2011

Maevy Faith's Birth Story

Monday I was hanging out at Mom and Dad's. After lunch I decided I needed to bake banana bread and clean their kitchen! That evening while watching, "The Bachelor", I realized I was having some painful contractions 10-12 minutes a part. I pretty much ignored them and went to bed. Through the night they woke me up a few times. I would make some quiet noises to cope through and then fall back asleep. The next morning they were still 10 minutes a part. I refused to believe that this wasn't false labor and told Mom to come over and play. She showed up with stuff to make a yummy soup, a cake, and even brought her pajamas! When she saw me have a contraction she insisted on driving me to my prenatal check up. At my appointment my midwife, Damaris, noted my pain and said it seemed like a real labor contraction to her. I had her check me...4 centimeters! Wow....MAYBE this was it? I asked her to sweep my membranes and she sent me home saying, "see you tonight!" I told her not to tease me...I wasnt ready to get excited. Mom and I came home and we got the little kids fed and ready for quiet time for Joey and nap time for Ailey. Mom started writing down my contractions and I decided to go for a walk. I went down the big hill in Neptune's Landing. I walked around on the docks and enjoyed the sunshine and water. My contractions were definitely getting stronger...especially by the time I got back up that hill! Once back inside I busied myself cleaning the bathroom and vaccuming the bedroom. Every time I would contract I would pound on the floor so Mom (baking away in the kitchen) could write down the time. As I cleaned I chanted to myself, "I am strong. I am strong in labor." When we realized my contractions were only 3 minutes a part we called Trey. When Trey got home we decided it was time to call Damaris. She came right over. Then we called the Clarks for re-inforcements! Billy was wonderful and took the boys and Megan stayed to keep me company while I labored. I had Damaris and Trey as well as the love and support of Mom, Meg, and even Carly and Ailey....all my girls. With each contraction I found myself on all fours, making the noises I needed to make to get through. I used a LOT of breathing, a lot of visualization, and a lot of prayer. Between contractions I was smiling and making jokes. I was confident and happy.....I had a good bit of anxiety about transition, though. I was in and out of the bath tub....water was SO great!






I was off and on the bed. I got checked and was at 7 centimeters. I knew my fear could actually prevent me from transitioning. Finally I got tired. I got REALLY REALLY tired. I layed down for a bit and then sat down on the potty for a few contractions. It was then and there that I started willing my body to transition. "Just do it. Just get it over with." Suddenly I got bits of the pushing urge! It wasnt overwhelming, but it was increasing. Damaris said I could check myself. I told her I could feel what I THOUGHT was a little bit of swollen cervix and HEAD! She advised me to breath through my next urge to push to help get rid of that anterior lip. I did it and then asked if I could just get in the tub and start pushing. She said yes! Into the tub I went and 2 or 3 contractions later my water burst with my efforts. I was praying my waters would stay in tact until pushing time...I could remember that once broken labor was a whole new ball game! Sure enough after the broken waters the pain maginified! But not for more than a couple seconds because I was crowning. I started screaming...really really screaming for the first time...and she was coming! She had a tight cord, though. I pushed for about 2 or 3 contractions and Damaris helped try to get her position right and supported my perineum....but finally told me I was going to have to STAND UP! What??!! Was she kidding me?! I don't know who all helped, but in a group effort I was on my feet and right out she came! Relief! My BABY! Damaris collected the cord blood, I delivered the placenta and nursed, and then it was birthday party time in my room! Again it was so perfect just being at home, in my bed, surrounded by family, eating my mom's homemade food, and having my daughter in my arms and never leaving them. We named her Maevy and she weighed in at 8lbs 10ounces JUST like her big sister, Ailey...who was also born on the 8th day of the month. After all the measurements were taken and all the celebrating came to a close, Trey and I fell asleep in our bed with our sweet new addition....our family complete:)


5 comments:

Billy said...

BEAUTIFUL story - so glad she is here, healthy, and that you had a birth experience to be proud of. you did great! thank you for letting me share in the miracle. i will never forget it :)

Breahna Young said...

Wow what an amazing experience. Such a beautiful story. Glad she is here and healthy! Congratulations again!!

Jennifer Montgomery said...

Thanks, ladies! IT.WAS.AWESOME!

Desirae said...

Wow! It is so beautiful for the women in our lives to be able to give birth. We are truly amazing creatures of this world! And you are such an inspiration to me....You are a phenomenal women!

Desirae said...

** that is supposed to read**

"It is so beautiful to be able to see the women in our lives give birth"

I apparently was thinking about what I wanted to say but only writing about 1/2 of it! Sorry :)