Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. -Psalm 82:3
I have been praying for a long time that my husband might start to spiritually lead our family. So when, in the midst of my antepartum depression and the falling a part of our house, Trey suggested that we start looking for a new church close to our new home....I was relieved and excited.
Immediately Trey took action and got online to find a church that he thought would be a good fit for our family. He picked one out and this morning we attended for the first time. It's always nerve-wracking when you go to a new church for the first time. What will the child care be like? What will the music be like? How will the people like us?
We dropped-off our babies...both with relatively easy transitions and minimal tears. Then we headed into the sanctuary (the gymnasium in the YMCA). The service had just started and we looked up to hear a gentleman giving an introduction to what was "Orphan Sunday". I turned and looked up at my hubby...my eyes big and already starting to fill with tears. Up on the screen was a photo of an orphan with the words "Orphan Sunday".
So it's the first time that we've gone to church in probably 2 months. It's the first time that we've tried a new church in about a year. I took my seat and listened as the congregation was informed about God's desire for His people to help the helpless. Bible quote after Bible quote on God's word regarding orphans and widows was recited. These words were not new to my ears....or to my heart. I recited right along with the pastor. Tears streamed down my cheeks the entire time as my heart broke into a million pieces for the orphans of the world...and what God had already called me to do about it. I kept looking up at Trey who I didn't have to say anything to. He knew what was going on with me.
After the sermon we were invited to a meeting to attend this evening regarding what we can do to help father the Fatherless. I am going to go...even though I am nervous. It always makes me nervous when God speaks to me so loudly and clearly. I am also nervous because this was my first time attending this church and I won't know anyone who will be there. But I have to go. I have to hear more of what this group of people have to say. I have to hear more of what they are being called to do...and maybe, how I can be a part of it.
Finally, "Orphan Sunday" comes on the morning that my sister-in-law and her husband land in Ethiopia. They will be going to court for their son, a 1 year old orphan currently residing in an Ethiopian orphanage. We continue to pray for their family as they set out to do as God has called them to do in their rescue of the perishing.
God is good!
Proverbs 24:11-13
2 comments:
wow, so glad you ended up there on that special day. i did think it was ironic we arrived in ethiopia on orphan sunday (did you know it's a national - maybe even international - day?!). interesting...
I had NO idea!!! I thought that "orphan sunday" was just something that that particular church was doing. Wow, Meg....God has so been EVERYWHERE on your journey to your precious son!
Post a Comment