Monday, October 25, 2010

When it rains....

So we are starting to discover some of the "joys" of being homeowners of an older home.

It started with my bathroom grout. For a week straight I tried something new in between those shower tiles....nothing works! I have to just suck it up and live with black lines in between the tiles in my shower.

Next would be foundational cracks....everywhere. In each room there exists at least one crack that Trey has promised me is just because the house is "settling". Well, this is very unsettling for me!

Then there was the dryer. We lost our brand new dryer when we sold our last house (the brand new one that we built from the ground up with the pretty granite counter tops and tile stone flooring that was ENTIRELY too small...) so we adopted the one that was left here by the previous homeowner. Suddenly there was no heat coming from the machine which was running fine....great. We did our research and tried numerous different fix-its with no results...So new dryer it had to be.

Then there was the puddle of water accumulating near the sink on my kitchen floor...the funky smell coming out from underneath the garbage disposal. After digging around under there (Trey had to do this for I did NOT have the stomach!)Trey discovered a HOLE in our garbage disposal. A HOLE?! REALLY!? Yep...that confirmed that another item would be needing replacement in our geriatric home. Fabulous.

A tree died in our front yard. Trey went out there this weekend, after we installed the new dryer, and used an ax to break it down. Our front yard feels slightly naked and exposed, but at least we have more firewood, now!

I'm scared of what might come next! I know for sure that this spring our deck has to be sanded and painted...a few boards might even need replacing. Wow, I'm running out of energy, patience, and money FAST! I didn't think that it would be this stressful having an older home! At least it's in a fabulous neighborhood and a great school district:)

I never thought that I would have to talk about a "next house" again....but now I know that I do. And our NEXT HOUSE will be new so that when we run into these issues that need repair and replacement, we have been there a while and are older with more money to handle the problems as they arise!

2 comments:

Billy said...

yeah, i can relate. there's always something. we joke about selling the house & renting for the rest of our lives!

Jennifer Montgomery said...

Oooh....see, that's smart. Let the landlord deal with it!