Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Last minute getaway....



So, last week, before the festivities of Easter weekend, I made a last minute decision to get away to the beach. It was just me and the babies. The big kids were at their mom's house and Trey was behind at work, so the timing was perfect. It was a test of nerves driving down to Ocean Isle with a 2 year old and a 5 month old....the dvd player was a lifesaver. When we finally arrived to the Ardrey beach house, it was as if I hadn't just listened to the in-van craziness for the past 3.5 hours. What a sweet little place. The house was one the far East end of the island. There was a pretty view from the kitchen and front porch. We found the upstairs bedroom and loft to be the perfect place for me and the babies to settle in. First order of business for Joey...get to the beach. After unpacking a few things I threw together a beach bag and we headed down to the water. The effects of being cooped up in a mini-van all morning were definitely showing as Joey ran around and chased after me as I pushed Ailey in her stroller. That afternoon the wind was fierce and the temperature was just right. We headed in for baths and dinner and then played on the porch as the sun set. We stayed for another day and a half. It was such sweet time with my babies. Of course, doing everything alone was exhausting, but it was worth it. Joey had so much fun playing on the beach. He loved collecting shells and making sandcastles. Little Ailey saw the ocean for the first time and felt the sand between her toes.

There were many photo opportunities....beautiful babies + beautiful scenery = MAMMARAZI! haha. I think that my kids think that having a camera in their faces is a normal part of life.
On our last day there we tracked down my spring breaking sister and spent some time with her. She had her "big boy" friends with her and Joey really enjoyed getting their attention. They were great with Joey and they all had a blast getting in touch with their inner child while digging giant holes and burying one another.
Getting away was just so good for me. Being at the beach is so calming and refreshing. It was good for Trey, too. He was able to get so much of his end-of-month work done that he got his monthly bonus! I told him I wouldn't have a problem going out of town at the end of every month...wink wink. Breaking free from routine, every once in a while, is GOOD! GOOD! GOOD!

1 comment:

Nicole Faby said...

You know you could have brought a photographer with you!! I still owe you some more?! HAHA! let me know if you ever need a partner in crime at the beach I will so be there!