I have this sister-in-law and she's incredibly passionate about things that really matter in this life. Recently I casually asked how things were going with their adoption of an Ethiopian baby. She started filling me in. She kept talking and stupid me kept asking and asking and asking. Finally she referenced some blogs about families who adopted and said I could learn a lot more from them. She volunteered to e-mail me the links. "No! I'm too afraid to look any further in to it!" We have four children already, you see. I was supposed to feel "done" after the birth of our last daughter, but that wasnt/isn't working for me. I had just gotten dear hubby to agree to a 5th bundle of joy, he would NEVER go for adopting on top of that! No, looking further into the world of adoption would not do me any good.
A few days passed since mine and super sister-in-laws conversation. Feeling a little brave and overwhelmed with curiosity, I YouTube searched, "Ethiopian Gotcha Day". These are videos of parents journeying to Ethiopia to bring their precious, no longer orphaned, children HOME. I couldn't stop watching. I made hubby watch a number of particularly sweet ones....which made him turn to me with my eyes full of tears and say, "you arent getting any serious ideas, are you?". I lied and told him I was just curious.
This led to me texting my SIL....."Hey, will you go ahead and e-mail me those links?" This made her laugh.....she knows me well and was probably expecting this. So she mailed them. So I read them. I laughed, I cried, and I felt something deep within me saying that adopting would be a part of my life....my family's life.
Well, this could never happen! I told my stupid big heart to cut it out and get over this unreasonable idea. The more and more I prayed to God to take this new desire away, the stronger it grew. What an annoying concept. I found myself on my knees, my heart breaking for the orphans of Ethiopia. I had done my research. I could not pretend I didnt know what was going on over there. I was led to Proverbs 24:11....
Rescue the perishing,
do not hesitate to step in and help.
If you say "that is none of my business" will that get you off the hook?
Someone is watching you closely, you know-
Someone not impressed with weak excuses.
Okay! I hear you!
BUT remember? My sweet husband, Trey? The one who dreams of retirement and getting the kids out of the house?
I prayed that God would give me the right words at just the right time to impact Trey the same way I was being impacted...and He did! As I told my husband what I felt called to do, he listened and did not judge. His heart was open and he saw what my heart looked like as I told him I knew how crazy it sounded....but that despite the craziness, I knew our family could do it....could bless and be blessed through adoption. Then....he agreed:)
2 comments:
whoo hoo! we're gonna be one big adoptive family! i'm so excited :)
You people keep making me cry! Stop already! I'm so excited for you both. There is nothing worse then thinking about lost, hurting, lonely, abused children. Mike and I are praying about proceeding with foster care when Coop gets old enough to move-in" with Quin (his bedroom).
Post a Comment